Welcome! This blog began as an assignment in a digital art class. That was in 2008. I decided to keep it going as my art journal. It is fascinating for me to see how a painting develops, so this is where I post my painting progressions and exciting new things I find on creative blogs and websites. I hope you will learn along with me about painting, drawing and all kinds of art.

4.25.2015

Early spring at the Mendenhall Glacier


Overwhelming magnificence!


Juneau's Plein Rein Painters painted at the Mendenhall Glacier this morning. 
Some did very well capturing the scene ... I was one who was quite bowled over 
(again) at how beautiful it was at our "drive-up" glacier.

So as others painted view slices to narrow the scene
- I zoomed in on an ice berg!
and also since I had them, decided to use pastels ... what the heck.


This was the set up and scene. The chunk of ice I was painting is rather small in the photo.

in process

When I got the painting home, my husband said, "Looks like a big frog..."
and ... and ... it does! So I didn't fight it, silly thing.
It just is.

Icey Frog           Pastel on Wallis paper         8 x 10  

The Tlingit people of Alaska have a Legend about Frogs, believing they are good luck. I am happy that this frog wanted to be painted, lucky me!

Thank you and may you find frogs in unexpected places too.



No comments: