Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

6.11.2015

Plein Air Workshop - Day 4

Started out the day with a talk about what Concept means for our paintings. 
When finding a spot to paint, make sure something about it, a color or shape or feeling 
 "speaks" to you 
because if you don't have a connection, your painting will lack emotion and energy.

But - before talking about today's painting, 
I wanted to post my Primary Palette painting - done using only these colors:

Cadmium Yellow Light
Permanent Red Medium
Ultramarine Blue


It was harder than the Split Primary, as you might agree ... because you only have three colors!

Ok, here are the progression photos for my painting done today.

The scene and the beginning of block in.



Walk & Breathe     8 x 10    Oil on Linen panel

For this painting I used Cad Yellow Light, Cad Yellow Deep, Perm Red Medium, Ultramarine Blue, Viridian, Transparent Red Oxide, Alizarin Crimson, and Greenish Umber (true name).

I loved that toward the end (which I didn't really know was the end) I felt the tiniest bit hopeful that I might be ok with this painting. There were so many greens in the scene that I hoped I wasn't just blending them all together. Stepping back, I think I like it!
Now I need to think if it reflects the concept I tried to portray - see the title. Do you think it does?


The last part of the day was Marc's demo and second video "taping" of the start/middle/end of a painting for the whereintheworldispleinair.com three day event! 
If you check out this vid, you will see that,
 wow, we were avoiding the rain 
but the wind was blowing & it was chilly standing there watching Marc paint.
The sound of the St Vrain River rushing by over its normal water level, contributed to a rather dramatic event!


 Marc's beautiful painting exhibits some of that drama. 
His concept for this painting was capturing the snaggle-tooth view of these snags in the river.  

Nothing is work unless you'd rather be doing something else.
 - George Halas (founder/owner Chicago Bears)

I love this quote! It is VERY fitting for the 20 painters out here in this fantastic workshop.

 One more day. Stay tuned ... hope I have time to post something tomorrow!

Thank you so much for stopping by!


 
 
 

 
 

No comments: