Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

6.13.2016

Abstract Expressionism in Juneau, AK!?





Recently two fellow friends/artists and I held a summer art salon
We do that sporadically, when schedules (and artwork progress/availability) allow. 

We three have applied for an art exhibit and we have decided we might do some abstract work for it. Thus our interest in the following:

One of our small group found out about a show 
happening now at the Denver Art museum!

The groundbreaking exhibition Women of Abstract Expressionism will celebrate the often unknown female artists of this mid-twentieth-century art movement. More than 50 major paintings will be on view by [female] artists working on the East and West Coasts during the 1940s and '50s: 
Mary Abbott, Jay DeFeo, Perle Fine, Helen Frankenthaler, Sonia Gechtoff, 
Judith Godwin, Grace Hartigan, Elaine de Kooning, 
Lee Krasner, Joan Mitchell, Deborah Remington, Ethel Schwabacher 
This will be the first presentation of works by these artists together at one time.

While I would love to go to Denver, 
we are investigating each artist and finding some pearl we love about them. 
one woman artist (who is in this Denver show) ... but no others
Bravo for the Denver museum!

is 94 now. Look her up! Which is your favorite Mary Abbott painting?
Here is mine:




painted on THE ROSE for 8 years and built up a literal TON of oil paint! 
Jay DeFeo, The Rose, 1958–66
 
Oil with wood and mica on canvas, 128 7/8 × 92 1/4 × 11 in. (327.3 × 234.3 × 27.9 cm). Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; gift of the Estate of Jay DeFeo and purchase with funds from the Contemporary Painting and Sculpture Committee and the Judith Rothschild Foundation  


This is another DeFeo I just love.
Crescent Bridge II, 1970–72. 
Synthetic polymer and mixed media on plywood, 48 × 96 in. 
- at the Whitney

Ok, thanks so much for checking in to this blog! 
Oh! and I am very happy to announce that 
my sister likes the painting that she commissioned me! 
(whew!)
She is giving it to her friends sometime this summer.
I will show the progression of that painting in my next post.

Happy Summer and Happy Painting!

No comments: