The surprising thing (for me)
was that the painting needed to have one of the books be a tall one.
Different than my own painting that I was "copying"
- this one:
The composition is a little different. So, the last book is taller, poppies now have some color:
A couple of petals fell.
This is how it looked on the easel. Notes everywhere.
At this point I showed my patron the painting and she thought - and rightly so,
that there was too much green in the back and foreground. So I began messing with it.
(But she loved the books!)
The photo below shows a piece of acetate film clipped to the panel -
I tried a new color by painting over it, finding it was much too light in the foreground ...
... even when trying a shadow.
So, I tried a different color over the top
and it seemed to work so I went for it.
Next post will be the last, and I will have the frame finished as well.
Thank you very much for hanging with me!