Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

3.17.2014

Charcoal portrait class


Yesterday afternoon I was delighted to take a class from Juneau artist
 MK MacNaughton - held at our City Museum.


We were to bring a black and white photo of someone we wanted to draw.

I brought this guy. 



Of course there were no cameras back in Aristotle's time, 
so this is a photo of a marble statue.
Here is the progress.





The thing that I enjoyed learning was when doing the initial sketch, do so very quickly with straight lines to delineate your shape(s). It is also funny that in a sketch, even though there were no pupils nor irises to draw (because the photo was of a statue), the shadow makes it look as though they are there.

Here is a supposed quote by Aristotle:
-->
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. (found on BrainyQuotes)


Thank you for viewing my art blog!

No comments: