Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

4.30.2015

Share Your Work!





I am reading this book.

It is by Austin Kleon the author of Steal Like an Artist, which I have not read (but want to!).

In Show Your Work! he says of people he looks up to, no matter what their line of work,
"By generously sharing their ideas and their knowledge, they often gain an audience that they can then leverage when they need it - for fellowship, feedback, or patronage."

He wrote the book for people who hate self-promotion, as another way of going about it (self-promotion) ... sort of painlessly, I guess ... I hope.

In the next days and weeks I will be sharing more about what I am reading in that book AND
 my new project, a commission. A landscape triptych.
It is scary, but exciting at the same time.

I will be painting studies - trying out scenes, composition, colors.
 


This is the first study, sketched-in with transparent red oxide and my medium.

Medium recipe:
1 part Walnut Oil Alkyd
                           4 parts Winsor & Newton Liquin Original
 



Progress so far,
blocked out at 1/7th scale, oils on Arches Oil paper.

I'm using photographic references, but also
considering the actual scenes harboring in my brain of beautiful SE Alaska,
thinking of the wall space and the colors my client likes,
thinking about impressionism.


Kleon's book resonates with me because I do love to share and have been for the past ...
hmmm ... almost 7 years!
But I may even share a little more, now that I feel a bit more confident 
about blogging AND drawing & painting!

Thank you for checking in ... stay tuned for more!




2 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Standing by for more. Really nice blog post!

Teri said...

Thank you Chris!