Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

10.09.2015

Painting - from little to big


One would think that it shouldn't be too hard to take a small painting and enlarge it ... 
 however, it does take some planning!

This painting
 is 6 x 9
(a plein air - done in Kelowna, BC at a park on the shores of Lake Okanagan)

This canvas
is 24 x 36

Here are some shots of my progress so far:



You might have noticed that the park bench is much too small. I hadn't seen it, but my husband came in and politely pointed it out to me. I will fix.

I wanted to see what other painters might say about 
the process of painting a larger piece from a plein air study.

Painter Kathleen Dunphy says that, "While the best plein air paintings have a life of their own that can never be repeated, studio works that are painted with the same degree of interest and discovery can convey their own unique story to the viewer."  This is the link to that blog post.

Do you enlarge your plein air studies/paintings from time to time? 
I would love to hear any tips that help you in this process.



2 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Can't really offer you any tips. I've enlarged drawings using a grid, but use many more lines than you do. Enlarging a drawing is really challenging for me. And as far as being a painting repeater, I have done that on many occasions. If the original painting is nice, the repeat is usually pretty flat. If the first piece is kind of bland, though, the repeat is generally better. I like your repeat. The small bench just makes the tree look bigger.

Teri said...

Hi Chris,
I've never heard the term "repeater" but it describes the process in one word. This repeat is for a friend who gave me colors she likes, that were not in the small painting. It is kind of fun to change it that way as well.

How are your works being received at the pilates studio? When she first opened her business (http://pilatesbodiesjuneau.com/) - my friend asked me if I would like to hang my small paintings on the wall. So I too have paintings in a pilates studio! (Need to change them out, because they have been hanging for some months ...)

Thanks for writing and please know that I just love your batik "Out of the Blue"! (and your other elephant batiks as well) and I concur with the last sentence of your post. I just cannot imagine what is happening over there!