Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

4.11.2016

Nancy T Workshop - Day 2



Nancy's second day demo. 
Her original photo had lots of adult cowboys 
standing behind this young man who is practicing his lassoing.



I think she may have added a few more marks after I took this.

In our discussions about using photographs for paintings, 
Nancy reminded us that there is lots of evidence that many of 
the great artists did use photos. 
I found this on RedBubble that also gives that theory credence.

The following three monotone sketches are my practice 
with getting proportions and the drawing (mostly) correct.




Some of the notes I took while watching her demo:
  1. Spend a fair amount of time with your dark block-in value forming the shape. Mapping.
  2. Highlights can come quite soon so you know where they'll be
  3. Think big to small
  4. Put down your stroke - and LEAVE it
  5. Cover the whole canvas with paint
  6. Decide on your own colors for the figure ... with hints from the photo
  7. Use one pop of an "alien" color at the very end
  8. Direction of brushstrokes toward focus
 Tomorrow, I'll post Day 3, another Nancy T demo 
and my color work over that first monotone sketch.

Thanks so much for viewing!



No comments: