Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

11.24.2017

Salon Challenge #1



Salon Challenge #1

Most of the time our salons have been casual critiques 
of paintings we have been working on. 
This time we added a challenge, and a new painter!

Welcome Patrick!
Our other salon painters are:
Timi Johnson
(please click that link to see Timi's beautiful paintings on her website)
Barbara Shepherd
me

We decided to do a memory painting, and since we all have cats ...

Our method was:

1 minute observe cat
15 minutes paint without seeing cat

2 minutes observe cat
15 minutes paint without seeing cat

3 minutes observe cat
15 minutes paint without seeing cat
=
45 minute cat-from-memory painting!



This was my base. It is Multimedia Art Board, 8 x 10, black - I put a brushful of white markings with a large brush ages ago, just for the heck of it.

Here are all of our efforts in a line. There was also a guest artist from afar (a friend of Timi's). Hers was watercolor - right in the middle. Timi's on far left, Patrick's - in acrylic - next, then Beverly's; next is Barbara's with green. And mine on far right.

Haze Gray from Memory          oil on panel        8 x 10

I think she approves!

And I approve of all of us!
I think it was an important exercise
and one we probably should do every now and then,  

when we remember ... :)

Thank you so much for checking in to this blog, 

even though I have not been very faithful to it.

We are now planning our 3rd challenge, 

so my next post will be about our 2nd challenge.

It was a combined effort to choose the subject and we voted and then picked from a hat.

Challenge #2 is a Cubist Still Life!


Stay tuned for the results!

1 comment:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I love Haze Gray - sensitive and expresive at the same time and how neat seeing everyones pieces.
i do not know why i did not get this post. I will have to check.
I don't want to miss the next challenge.