Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

12.01.2017

Salon Challenge #2



Our 2nd salon challenge was decided 
by picking items out of a hat.
(I mean the written word of the item.)  
We just blurted out things that might
be interesting to paint in a 

Cubist Still Life

and picked 4 out of a hat. We chose:


1 - A gourd or pumpkin
2 - An old shoe
3 - A round glass "thing" or bottle
4 - A sea shell



 I sketched my items, from all different perspectives, 
onto brown paper with charcoal 
and cut them out.




I wanted to make my cubism still life as a tondo 
because I had seen some cubist paintings made that way.

Examples of tondo shapes (they can be oval too):


Picasso - Still Life With Chair Caning - 1912


Braque - Still Life With Violin - 1914


Picasso and Braque as you may know

invented cubism.





We chose an 8 color palette:

Alizarin Crimson Permanent    
Cerulean Blue
Ultramarine Blue    
Yellow Ochre
Dioxizine Purple    
Phthalo Green    
Turquoise
White


Sketchbook sketch (about 5 x 5 inches)


I thought I might use more dividing lines, but I didn't.



Here is my sketch onto a panel 24" square.

I forgot to take painting progression photos ... 

Below are the photos when we revealed our cubist paintings.

Patrick's

Barbara's

Timi's



Apex    oil on panel     20 x 20 inches




Thank you so much for checking in!

Happy Painting!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Teri, this glimpse into your artist process intrigues me so much! Thank you for sharing it. The steps you followed show me the curiosity and observation you practice, moment to moment, as you firm these images on the paper. I can’t wait to see your finished work, in color!

❤️With admiration,
Luann

Teri said...

💕thanks so much Luann! Stay tuned 😊

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for sharing this, Teri, I found it fascinating and I am looking forward to seeing the completed artwork.

Teri said...

Hi Julie! Thank you for checking in and commenting. Yes, I am posting the next part soon!