Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

10.01.2020

So Many Ideas, So Little Time!




I am working on a new series,
one that may not be too inviting to some.

It is called

DOR
(Dead On Road).

This is kind of a hard one to explain, but here goes.

There have been paintings of dead things throughout
history. Think of the paintings by Chardin.

The Ray by Jean Baptiste Simeon Chardin   1728    
45 x 57 inches  It is at the Louvre. 
I love the cat.

and

Rabbit and Copper Pot  1739-40
 
My idea is to give a bit of dignity and beauty to these poor creatures 
who tried to get to the other side of the road.

Road savvy these guys were not.

For the past 9 - 10 years I have been stopping on the side of the road - 
while biking, walking, driving or being a passenger asking for the driver to please stop 
and let me go take a quick picture or two of the DOR.

Well, I guess it is better in many ways,
than being a parasitologist, as my uncle was ...
and now my brother is - when they see a DOR,
it is picked up! and put in a bag 
to take back to the lab to look at its
guts for parasites!

I only take away photos.

I decided the first one is a baby porcupine, Erethizon dorsatum,
that I found on the side of the road while I was biking North Douglas Hwy.




 My supports are all Masonite and all the same size, 
24 x 16 either horizontal or vertical as I am doing here.

I used acrylic for my underpainting and am continuing to do the
painting using oils and Cold Wax Medium (approx 1/2 & 1/2 mix).




I'm showing you the good, bad and ugly of the process
so strap yourselves in.




Oh, and I am not even finished with this one and I am beginning another,
so this will be something I will post
now and then.


Thanks so very much for checking in!

Take the greatest care!

🎨😷

No comments: