Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

8.23.2014

Emerald Lake Extreme (sort of) plein-air


We had a nice stay at Takhini Hot Springs campground, north of Whitehorse -
with a dip in the hot springs pool, of course.

As we drove toward Skagway, AK on the Klondike Hwy
the weather was looking worse and worse.

I kind of had my heart set on painting Emerald Lake, since its green/blues are so beautiful.

The wind was howling and the rain was pelting and as we sat there at the overlook the lake was STILL beautiful even though the weather was bad.

So I took a breath, put on all my warm and wet weather gear and with Matt's help,
I painted!


Matt parked the truck so it blocked the wind and we connected the Best Brella to the door of the truck and it was actually not bad!

The awkward part was when a mammoth tour bus drove up, and someone would come over to me and say, "Are you painting?"

The buses stayed for maybe 3 minutes with people jumping out and snapping a photo and then the bus barreling off in a puff of diesel-laden smoke. 

The buses were too noisy ... so, I don't think any of them heard 

If you go to that link - you can listen to loon calls - we heard the "wail call" 
although there are several other calls loons make.

Matt made an attempt to alert the bus drivers about the loons 
(most likely Gavia immer, the Common Loon)
a male and female with one chick. But they were too much on a schedule to let their passengers know, and one of them even said, "Oh, probably can't hear them with the engine on..." and then he drove off!

The loons were amazingly beautiful to hear - in the wind and the rain!



Emerald Lake   8 x 10 inches   oil on archival panel
I did work on this one just a little when we got home, and probably will leave it as is now.


No comments: