Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

8.21.2014

George Black Ferry plein-air


Still traveling home in July, now in Canada, we drove a road called 
which led us to Dawson City on the Yukon, the mighty Yukon River!

We had to cross the Mighty Yukon on a little ferry called the George Black Ferry. 
It was exhilarating and gave us not just a little feeling of trepidation (we unbucked our seatbelts, for instance). 

It is a very small ferry, but a giant 18-wheeler was next to us, 
and cars behind us.

It was kind of like this! This video shows the ferry on the west side of the Yukon, with river flowing past Dawson City on the east bank.

... but when we crossed, we were next to the cab of the 18-wheeler and 3 cars behind us. The big truck in the video must have been the only one crossing that day ... 
or was very very heavy?

Anyway, even after telling myself I was crazy, 
I decided to try and paint the ferry on the Yukon - a sketch first.



 Here is the ferry docked and off-loading cars (campers, etc) in Dawson City.



(Note my new hat ... it was a hot, sunny day! i should not have had a turtleneck on!)



And this is the way it still looks. 
I have much work to do to finish this little sketch...but so far, so good! 
Glad I took a photo of the ferry.

Tomorrow, the Silver Trail!

Thank you for reading my blog.


No comments: