Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

5.03.2015

Process Not Product


The title of chapter 3 of Austin Kleon's book,  Show Your Work!
is "Think process not product"
 
Before the digital age, Kleon (I will use "AK" now, hopefully not to be confused with my State)
 said no one really thought about, or cared how the work was done, 
 they wanted the finished product. 
He noted that even in their book, Art and Fear
(which I am also in the process of reading) 
Bayles and Orland say that,
" ... details of artmaking are utterly uninteresting to audiences 
because they are almost never visible
 ... from examining the finished work."

But now - with digital images and video - 
an artist can share whatever they want, whenever they want!

... and it is quite easy, as I am proof of that. 
Of course I do believe the people who enjoy the sharing are other artists, 
because I also love it when people show the methods and processes they use.


... and "process is messy"!  (quote from AK's book)

 I used Transparent Red Oxide to sketch in the main shapes. 


This shot is because I worked on the water and distant mountains and sky, 
but doesn't look, at first glance, much different from the first shot.

More about AK's book in one of my next posts.

Cheers to spring (it is sunny today, getting out to do some gardening, speaking of messy!)



No comments: