Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

11.17.2019

Treadwell Ditch Trail "A Lovely Hike"



Along the Treadwell Ditch Trail, Douglas Island, Juneau, Alaska.

A Lovely Hike  (b&w)
I just finished a commission painting that was a no pressure painting. How many commissions can you say that about?
I did what I wanted to do and the client was happy.

Here are progress photos that I remembered to take!

This panel (a gessoed masonite board) was meant for another painting,
but I abandoned that idea.




My sketch (and notes) from a photo that the client took. 
I originally wanted to take my set-up and go out to the trail and get the painting started.  
Time got away from me and winter began, so I didn't do it.

The following photos show the mark makings as I stumbled through.


I knew I wanted the vanishing point about 1/3 up from the bottom.
To me the photo showed the trees all "almost" pointing 
toward another vanishing point up in the sky.

I think if you had hiked the ditch trail, you would recognize it in this painting.
I have hiked it many times and love it. From our house, doing a circle route,
the hike is about 7 miles.






The most fun was painting the understory and the path, 
trying to leave some of the underpainting showing 
but giving the feeling of lots of senescing vegetation.

I want to go hike it soon again!

A Lovely Hike (Treadwell Ditch Trail)    24 x 18   oil on Masonite    Teri Gardner Robus


Thank you so much for checking this blog.
 I appreciate you!






7 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks beautiful. Must be amazing when you see it in person.
You had me at the sketch you posted on fb.

Teri said...

Awww, thank you so much "unknown" - paintings are always better in person.

Chris Lally said...

How could the client not love this! Looks great in that frame, too:)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

What a wonderful job you did. I am in awe of this kind of talent. i can barely paint the kitchen wall well!

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

It is a wowzer of a painting. One I could happily live with for its gorgeous colors.
The design is perfect and the black and while shows the values are dead on...clever gal!

Teri said...

Thank you for your comments, Chris, David and Julie. Dang, but I wish blogger would notify me if I get comments. I look and then stop going back to look! I really appreciate your words.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

happens to me too, never worry!