Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

12.20.2019

3 Graces (Journey - part 2)


  
The great thing about the cold wax and oil mixture is that it's
quite quick to set up once you have the base layer down. It is ready for
more layers the next day, or even 8 hours later.

The recipe I am using is to mix about 50% cold wax medium
(I am using Dorland's) and 50% oil paint. 

From the last stage to the one above,
I added paint with a brayer,
and also used a palette knife.

My palette is earthy warm colors (so far) and as you can see,
in the progress photo below, I re-lined my figures because I didn't want 
to "lose" them under paint layers. 
I used a burnt umber oil paint stick made by Shiva and Jack Richeson
- these are the kind I have below.


There are a couple on the market. 
Another brand is R&F Pigment sticks
I haven't used that kind.

I will try to keep "finding" my figures
as I work with the layers I am applying.  

My goal with this piece is to have many layers of CWM and paint
so I will have something to scrape and gouge into.


Speaking of gouging and scratching,
I took a photo of the other tools-of-the-CWM-trade I have been using
for this painting. There are many, anything you can
think of to help you make marks! 

Below is a photo of the Dorland's CWM (Cold Wax Medium) jar,
Citrasolv, various palette/painting knives, a brayer, a bowl scraper (green), 
a black plastic fork, and some tissue paper. The blue box
is a "wet palette" keeper. It does well keeping the
oil/CWM from drying out too much.


Until next post ...
since it is getting close to Christmas,
I wish everyone a

Merry Christmas!
&
Happy Holidays! 
🥗



2 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Thanks for the info on cold wax, Teri. The layers and textures provide such interest! Looking forward to more in-progress posts.
I picked some cold wax over the summer, but have not tried it yet, so this is very encouraging:)

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas, too, Teri!

Teri said...

Hey Chris! This journey I am taking with my blog readers is really fun. I love sharing it. Thank you for commenting. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!