Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

1.16.2020

3 Graces (part 6 - end of journey)


Second to last photo before the finish

a painting journey
has come to delightful end
travel anywhere ...

So, yep ... my little Haiku for the end of my journey.

 I have not found thought of
anything else I can do to
improve this small painting
(at this time),
so I am calling it
fini!

Revealed at the end of this post,
you can see, or maybe you can't see (?)
the subtle changes 
I made to finish.


To refresh ...
This journey began with a photo
 of condensation on a window screen,
its shape was human figure-like.



I am a gigantic fan of 
Alberto Giacometti (look him up!)
and felt inspired to try
an abstract painting of the human form
in the guise of the three graces.

Googling for The Three Graces, I found
there was NOT a simple description! 

The following 2 sentences are directly from the Wiki page:

"Charites, known in Greek mythology as The Three Graces, 
goddesses of such things as charm, beauty, and creativity
In Roman mythology they were known as the Gratiae."

If you click on the Charites link, and scroll down the page 
you will see there were/are MANY artists
who depicted them in art ...

... including my husband's grandfather (Hugo Robus)!
Below is a photo of H. Robus'
Three Possible Graces, a sculpture
not quite 3 feet tall.


I did remember this sculpture -
 (but did not set eyes on it while painting until today 
when I looked it up and snapped the photo)
- from our book about Hugo Robus,
his life and work. I am sure it inspired me.


My original sketch

My painting 1st stage

I tried a couple of extra things
to help this painting,
including some more Indian Yellow 
in the top right corner and some gouging
around the "heads"...
tried to give it more value contrast. (think it helped)



3 Graces     Teri Gardner Robus      Cold wax and oil on canvas panel    10 x 8 inches

Thank you so much for following along on this
painting journey! It was fun to have you,
and I hope you stay tuned for more
interesting (and hopefully educational)
blogposts about art!

🎨

4 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Always worth the wait to see one of your beautiful pieces, Teri! This is just outstanding!
Thanks for all of the interesting info about the history of this theme. Especially loved the mention of hubby's grandfather:) Looking forward to seeing more of his work online.

Teri said...

Hi Chris - you can find Hugo Robus on a few art websites and even on Instagram! People find the sculptures and paintings and post. He didn't do many paintings and we are so happy to have a few. Thank you very much for your always kind words in your comments!!!

Scott Benites said...

Nice post keep it up
Scott Benites is showcasing famous paintings canvas prints in New York. You can find wide range of perfect artwork gallery at best deals.

Teri said...

Thank you Scott Benites. I will!