Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

8.19.2026

Painting a still life: "Glass with Herb"

 


Hello you good blog readers, you!

This post will be about my painting "Glass with Herb", and
I don't mean Herb Alpert  ... that is the only Herb I could
think of at this moment. (by the way, Herb A. ðŸŽº is 91!!!)

Here are my photos of the steps in the progress:

Can you guess the herb?

i made some quick preliminary sketches

My surface is Yupo! 

"YUPO is a brand of synthetic, tree-free paper made from 100% polypropylene plastic. It is completely waterproof, smooth, and will not tear or buckle when wet. Because its surface is totally non-porous, inks and paints sit on top rather than absorbing, making it popular for unique effects in watercolor and alcohol ink art." ... and oil paint goes on beautifully after the underlayer, which you see here as a brownish color.

charcoal sketch on my dried underlayer

adding paint

almost there



Glass with Herb
9" x 12"
Still life, oil on Yupo

Did you guess mint? Well, it does not look like mint, but that's ok. 
I am in love with this painting - irl you can see the textures on the surface 
and I love the (purple) shadows.

This painting is in my collection, Still Life because
it isn't a flower painting, but almost!

THIS is the link to zip right to the painting on my website.
(ps I am working on the frame right now!)


Thanks so much for reading! 
I hope you learned 
about a new thing (Yupo "paper") today!

🎨
xo
teri

No comments: