Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

1.13.2016

Day 13 - 30 Paintings in January


This quote is a bit long and I didn't use everything he had on the page,
  but I loved the way Henri spoke of -

THE BRUSH STROKE

"The mere matter of putting on paint. 
The power of a brush stroke. 
The mere brush stroke itself must speak. 
It counts whether you will or not. 
It is meaningful or it is empty. It is on the canvas and it tells its tale. 
It is showy, shallow, mean, meagre, selfish, has the skimp of a miser; 
is rich, full, generous, alive and knows what is going on.
 
When the brush stroke is visible on the canvas it has a size, 
covers a certain area, has its own texture. 
Its tiny but very expressive ridges catch light in their own way. 
It has its speed and its direction. 
There is a lot it has of itself, 
and the strokes tell their tale in harmony 
with or in opposition to the motive of the picture."
- Robert Henri


2:20 pm Juneau         6 x 8 inches     oil on Arches Huile paper








No comments: