Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

5.20.2018

Sand & Lava Painting


We have been back from Hawaii for almost three weeks 
and are thinking about the Kilauea lava flows that destroyed
many structures and homes on the east side of the Big Island, that occurred after we left.

Sending strength and hope for everyone there who are affected.

I can't help but paint when I am there, and I take lots of photos 
to use as reference when we get back home, too.
 This little studio painting, just finished, brings me 
back to that beautiful, raw and rugged island.

One day we were walking on a beachside trail when we walked past this couple lounging on the sand amidst the lava and grass. I thought the scene might make a fun painting, loved the red umbrella ... so I had Matt pretend I was taking a picture of him and got the couple too :)



sketch for my composition








Sand & Lava    oil on wood panel   12 x 9 inches

My favorite part is the two heads under the umbrella with their hats. 
I also like the guy's yellow trunks.






UPDATE (9/19/2108):
I donated this painting to our local "Juneau Love Project". 
My donation contributed to the Hawaii Lava Threat Fundraiser 
because someone bid on it.
I don't know who has this painting, but I am so happy it has a home.

Thank you for checking in 
and for all you painters and creatives out there,
keep making (& purchasing) art!


4 comments:

Chris Lally said...

I'm glad you took that sneaky photo! The painting is SO beautiful, Teri! It is really, really well done & it will find its way home very soon.

Teri said...

:) yes, Chris very sneaky! Thanks so much for your very kind words.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I find i really enjoy your step by step pics, Teri. This is a terrific painting and i loved following its development.
You are kind to support the relief efforts. It really is amazing to see the force of nature - stunning and destructive at the same time.

Teri said...

Hi Julie - so far, no takers - but that's ok ... I am not a very good promoter (yet). Yes! I feel very humbled at the power of Pele. I appreciate the time you take from your own blog and art to comment and am so glad to have you for an art blog friend. Thanks so much for your words about my painting!