Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

5.12.2018

Salon Challenge #4


So do you know the word widdershins
It means, in a counterclockwise direction, left-handed, or wrong direction. 
I am very tempted to title my painting Widdershins, but it might be confusing? 
I should take votes ...


We chose 3 parameters for our Challenge #4:

1. Limited palette:
     - Dioxazine purple
     - Sap green
     - Hansa yellow light
     - Cadmium yellow medium
     - Permanent carmine
2. Use your non-dominant hand to paint (we are all right-handers)
3. Landscape

No size limit - my neutral-toned (with gesso) board is 11 x 14 inches.


Below, my progress with the challenge. 

Charcoal sketch in ... yep, sketched with my left

Alcohol wash to set

My palette (began mixing with my left hand)


First marks were with my fingers ... yes left hand fingers!



View from Vandehey Road   Gaston, Oregon    Oil on panel    11 x 14 inches
Yep, spring was well under way in the Pacific NW when we visited in May.


Using just my left hand WAS a big challenge for me. I found myself with my brush in my right hand more often than I wanted. 
Some of us had unique methods to keep that right hand out of it; 
like duct taping fingers together ... then, because the duct tape was a pain (literally) to remove, painter's tape around the fingers. 

I wish I would have thought to just put a mitten on my hand!

It was decided that we all liked the palette, too!

Next post will be the paintings of two of my co-salon compatriot's work. 
(One of our group cannot reveal her painting due to possible use in another show.)

Thanks for checking in! 

4 comments:

Cristine said...

I love watching the progress and ideas your salon has come up with. The colors are a bit startling, but I see what a unique combination it is. I'm going to give this challenge a shot and see what happens. Thanks for sharing. What fun!

Chris Lally said...

Well, first of all Teri, you were once again up to the challenge! What a beautiful painting!! I can't imagine trying to paint with my non-dominant hand. And your use of that limited color palette is masterful!
The title? I confess I am unfamiliar with that word. I thought it might be a the name of a lovely German forest. Dah... :}

Teri said...

Thank you Cristine! I hope to someday see your left hand painting ... are you going to use the same palette?

Teri said...

Thanks Chris - not sure if “masterful” is correct but i very much do appreciate the thought!