Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

8.03.2018

Salon Challenge #5 - Reverb




As I mentioned last post, our salon group decided to do a limited palette again. 
We each brought two colors and picked these 4 out of a hat (l to r):

Yellow Ochre
Viridian (green)
Alizarin Crimson
Cerulean (blue)
plus
White


This pic is our colors mixed with white. Lovely!

I was excited to do this challenge, 
but at the same time, it was pretty terrifying to have Barbara's painting
to mess up, or something ...

Here is her nice painting. Pretty colors too!
The list of songs from her year of birth (I liked 6 of the top ten):
#1 Little Things Mean a Lot - Kitty Kalen
2 Wanted - Perry Como
3 Hey There - Rosemary Clooney
4 Shaboom - Crew Cuts
5 Make Love to Me - Jo Stafford
 6 Oh! My Papa! - Eddie Fisher
7 I Get So Lonely - Four Knights
8 Three Coins in a Fountain - 4 Aces
Secret Love - Doris Day
10  Hernando's Hideaway - Archie Bleyer

And I played them and played them, while I gazed at this painting. 
None of the songs made me think of anything particular, 
but I finally decided ...

To paint a landscape! 
I turned him face down ...


... and began to paint - sort of imagining a waterway 
going between mountains.



As we painted on our friend's painting, 
we were invited to 
"let some parts of the original painting remain" and 
"renovate, recuperate, regenerate, retaliate, or reverberate" the other painting!

This is where the name for our challenge was born - Reverb

As I began putting the water in,


... it hit me.

I turned the painting again and 
made a kind of Ophelia! That link tells you a bit 
about the famous painting by Millais,
based on Ophelia from Hamlet. 

Note this from Wikipedia: 
"The scene is described in Act IV, Scene VII of Hamlet in a speech by Queen Gertrude.[1]"


All it needed were some flowers, 
turn him into a girl, 
water around face just before she sinks ... and woe ... drowns
and - voilĂ !


Secret Love - (tentative title)     oil on Masonite  12 x 15 inches

I did sign it, but I still might add something else I have been thinking about, and I will update this blog post if I do it.

Next post will explain Patrick's painting. He has a portrait of Timi's Aunt Lorraine.

Thank you so much for checking in - Happy Painting!



6 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Wow, Teri! Love it!! How creative. This series would be great for an art magazine (?)!
Now I can't wait to see the next one!

Teri said...

Whoa, an art magazine? Never thought of that. Hmmmm .... So, there are still two more paintings from my fellow cohorts to talk about. And our next challenge, #6, is cool ... stay tuned - and thank you for commenting!

Cristine said...

this really shows a great imagination at work. thanks for sharing not only the painting but your thought process through the exercise.... taking off that mustache really changed everything!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Remarkable.

God bless.

Teri said...

Thank you Cristine - it was so hard to try and link one of the songs to the portrait ... so when I saw the face floating I was very happy!

Teri said...

Victor - so nice of you to say that. Thanks so much!