Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

5.06.2020

Abstract Painting (with a limited palette)



The Hypsographic Curve  b&w
(see end of blog for color version)

For our annual art retreat this year
(at the Shrine of St Therese, see post HERE)
one of our painters suggested doing a "challenge painting"
and these were the choices we could make:



Pick one or both of the following:
#1
- limited palette of 1 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow, 1 green and 1 white (of course you can mix these colors to create other hues, if you’re using paints)
-an ice berg reference (honoring one of ours, Jay)
-any size canvas
-EXTRA CREDIT- incorporate in any way you see fit, your zodiac sign

#2
-Use your non-dominate hand
-No limit on palette
-Abstracted landscape with a figure (any vertebrate or invertebrate)
-Any size canvas
-EXTRA CREDIT-Paint with an unfamiliar medium

I chose #1 and I wish I would have recorded or remembered the paints I used 
but pretty sure they were -

Titanium White
Ultramarine Blue 
some kind of yellow
Indian Red
and 
Chromium Oxide Green ... I think. 

The following show how it all went down!

Began with an already gessoed gray, then partial black, 20 x 20 canvas

Found an online free photo as a beginning visual for me - I found my iceberg reference!






This is a photo with the "markup" edit 
checking to see if something (flowers in the corners) would work ...
I felt it was ok to try it, and went ahead with paint.







When almost finished, sent progress to a friend and they sent back this 😊


Happily we drew names to trade paintings.
My friend Pua got this one! 

The Hypsographic Curve     oil on canvas    20 x 20 inches

I am pretty happy with this painting. The hypsographic curve, by the way,
is a geometric illustration for approximating the curve of the earth, I think.


Can you find my Zodiac sign and tell me which sign is mine?




Keep your chin up everyone
Keep painting
Keep active

Stay healthy!

Thank you for clicking 👏👍💕

2 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

What a lovely flowing abstract. Lots of movement and I still see icebergs!
I enjoyed following the steps but was completely flummoxed by the zigzag lines your friend returned, Please let me know their interpretation. I also wanted to be clever and discover the zodiac sign but couldn't. I confess to not being up to date and all that but would like to know. It is like Find Waldo

Teri said...

Julie, I think my friend was saying his eye did zig-zag there! - first landing at the contrasting white/blue area (his circle), center lower half, then jumping to the upper left and then back and forth from one side to the other before heading down to the left lower corner, and back around. Not sure if my eye does anything near that (I find it hard to do the eye-tracking thing anyway). My zodiac sign is Virgo ♍︎and it is in blue line in the lower left quadrant of the painting. Thank you so much for your comment! I'm so glad you wrote, I note that you are very industrious these days and that is a really good thing. Take good care!