Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

5.10.2020

Sprouting Allium (Garlic)




I had a head of garlic that was sprouting.
My friends, with whom I was chatting on Zoom, said
"plant them! paint them!"

So, before I decided on a place to separate and plant the "cloves",
I did want to try to make a go of painting it.



Made a drawing first.



This canvas had been prepared months ago.

Splattered house paint on a gessoed canvas.

In the style of J Pollack, I imagined.

Toned down the white with a bit of a stain;
i.e. burnt umber/transparent oxide red + Liquin

Close up of my green pencil sketch-in


Didn't take many progress photos,
just too busy troweling the paint on, I guess.

Sprouting Allium   (Garlic)    oil on acrylic and gesso on gallery wrapped canvas 
20 x 20 inches


Oh, by the way ...
I did plant the sprouted garlic cloves:


I hope they will produce some nice heads of garlic!

Until next time,
thank you for dropping by!

Stay healthy and safe.

🧄

4 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Who would have thought you could have so much fun with a head of garlic?! Love the painting, Teri! The canvas had been tapping its foot:)
And good luck with the planting! Let us know how it turns out.

Teri said...

Chris - yep, glad I went ahead and did the painting and the planting. People have been telling me they plant their garlic in the fall, but these were sprouting now! I’ll try to remember to let you know what happens. So glad you wrote! Thank you!!

VitellineGland said...

The Garlik looks like a photo, even! With it sitting in front of a wall. Cool looking Garlik head.

Nice one. We have never been successful in growing the stuff in our garden. We tried a couple years ago, but the aspargus made it (it keeps coming back) and the garlik died off for some reason.

Teri said...

Thanks so much VitellineGland! Very nice to hear from you. Glad you like the painting.