Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

7.16.2020

Everything's Coming Up Roses - a painting


"Everything's coming up roses"



You have heard that expression, right? 
Or, another one, 
"they're coming out smelling like a rose" (on this deal ... etc).

The link below (Wiki) has lots of info about the song,


Ethel Merman sang it in the 1959 Broadway musical, Gypsy, 
and Bette Midler sang it in the 1993 made-for-tv movie, Gypsy. 
They were made about the famous burlesque performer
Kinda fun to look up the song and then get pulled down rabbit holes
learning about her and the play and movie.
sorry ... )



Ok - back to my painting, and what does it have to do with roses?

Initial covering up of the original painting

The painting started out life very differently. 
It was a landscape painting 
where I was trying to depict wind ... 
... have you tried that?
I found it pretty much impossible for me
at this time.

So the following shots are progressions of this painting 
as I worked it over several weeks.

The roses come in from my stencil-ing &/or imprinting
roses from a "flat bouquet" called a Lovepop card. 
Got it from my kids on Mother's Day.
(shhhh ... don't tell them I took it apart!)



Beginning in landscape form, I realized it actually is
a vertical format painting!

I put down layers of cold wax and oil -
using at various times:
 brayer, squeegee, marble dust, 
oil stick, palette knife, skewers, ruler, pocket knife, 
... probably more ...
and working flat on my studio table.





These two below are a couple of early stage "wind" paintings.
Nope ...



I am quite happy with my end result, roses - no wind.

Everything's Coming Up Roses   
Oil and Cold Wax Medium on Multimedia Artboard 
adhered to cradled support
   16 x 12 inches
 ($350 + tax)


Best wishes to all who read this blog. May you stay safe and healthy.

🎨

2 comments:

Chris Lally said...

It's amazing how you pulled everything together with those beautiful layers! Got a winner here, Teri! And no, I won't tell:)

Teri said...

Hi Chris - thank you for reading ... what is on your agenda now that your 100 days are finished?