Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

7.23.2020

Strong Women Series #6 - Woman on a Train




For this painting, I was intrigued by the woman sitting alone
on the LINK train from the Seattle airport to downtown.

She was lost in thought, 
a book in front ...
or maybe a Kindle
or iPad ...


This is the photo i took, candidly - from far away. 

I sketched the woman, too, while riding the train.


The following three photos are from when I was developing
the idea of the painting - in the same 5.5 x 8.5 sketchbook.




I turned the page in my sketchbook and found
some notes I made for the painting:

mystery
color
abstract shapes
 red coat, mauve hat, glasses?
red sign behind with yellow papers

Some ideas I used,
some I did not. For instance, her hat is lime
not mauve and no glasses.

I think there is some mystery about her
and the other riders.
Is she in jail?
What is she reading?
Who are those guys in front of her?

Here's a good question. Why do I think she is a strong woman?

The next series of shots are my painting progressions on the Masonite board.







Below is the finished painting. Those with eagle eyes
will spot the biggest change from the almost 
final above.

Woman on a Train (Heloise)  18 x 12 inches   oil on Masonite


Very happy with this painting - and should note 
that for some (unknown) reason
she became Heloise
as I painted her.

Thanks so much for reading all the way to here!

Happy painting
🎨

Stay safe and sound
😷

3 comments:

Mary Anderson said...

Nice and I like Heloise!

Teri said...

Hi Mary! Thank you so much :)

Bob said...

So many interesting and mysterious persons on trains.

It looks like you found one on your train .

Thanks for the invitation to view.