Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

10.16.2022

Portrait Practice 21

 


Hi - I am almost finished with the paintings I've been doing 
from photos in the 1942 Army Air Forces Training Center yearbook.

(Please check the first post I made at the beginning of this project
HERE if you haven't been following, or to remind yourself what this is about.)

This portrait and the one contained in my next post, 
are those I have made were of the guys in the back of the yearbook,
the detachments of African American officers and cadets.

Sadly, in 1942, their place in the army and in the world
was just like the yearbook; 
they had to go to the back of the bus, 
the back of the restaurant, 
the back of the movie theatre, etc, 
if they were allowed to enter at all. 


Sergeant Johnson




Sergeant J Johnson



The unit to which Sergeant Johnson was assigned was called 
Detachment Headquarters, Second Platoon. 
There were no white soldiers in this unit. 
Their superior was a white man,
Major Wade T Leary.
 
[I may need to paint his portrait, because
the photo of Major Leary made me cringe 
a little ... his photo
made him look like a martinet.]

I salute those men & women who joined the Army Air Forces 
and other branches of the military during this time,
and were met with prejudice
across military and public domains.

If you are interested here is a 
 Wikipedia link discussing ethnic minorities
who were involved in/drafted into the US armed forces
during WWII.

Thank you so much for reading. I am nearing the end of
my project; my final post(s) will be done in November because of family travel.

So, until then, take good care
and stay healthy
and safe!


🎨

2 comments:

Claudette said...

Great project Teri. Love these portraits and the growth along the way.

Teri said...

Hi - Thank you so much for your comment Claudette! This has been/is such a meaningful thing to look into.