Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

10.06.2022

Portrait Practice 17 (with side-note)

 

Hi! - if you are just seeing this series 
for the first time, please pop back to the beginning HERE where I explain what I am doing.

The Shaw Air Base yearbook also pictured the nurses working there.
I was excited to paint some of their portraits and the first one is Lt Jane Hoff.
(Reminder: I don't work on these for days,
just try to do them in a few hours, to try to keep their freshness.)





Lieutenant Jane E Hoff



Ok, here is my "side-note" (which could be a whole blog post, but since I had hinted 
at something I was working on during this series, I decided to post it here).

My enthusiasm for painting sometimes gets the best of me, 
(many painters will understand this), 
and the best laid plans
go awry.

I wanted to do a portrait of Claude Monet, and I had found this old b&w photo,
that I have kept in my "to Paint" file for a long time.


I began the painting on a 16 x 12 inch Arches Huile paper,
and I will show you the progression
(with some trepidation).


I used GridPainter app to grid my paper and then a willow charcoal to do the sketch. I was probably already off, but tried to use the "rule of thirds" for placement of the focal
point - Claude's head.






I was almost liking this part.



... but his head was wrong! 
I wiped it out.


I worked again and it seemed all proportions were off,
so ... 👇


I just painted over the whole thing.



I have a beautiful bouquet here that has some sunflowers
and I thought it might be nice on this neutral background that Claude is under.
It was very fun to paint and I didn't have to think about 
proportions, much.


Lost Edges & Sunflowers
16 x 12 inches 
oil on Arches paper


This painting is not on my website yet. Will keep looking at it
to make sure it is ready for "prime time".

I am still going strong with my Shaw Air Forces Training Center yearbook
photos and will continue next post with those,
and hopefully no histrionics.

THANK YOU so much for reading!

Happy Creating! 
🎨



No comments: